You can lose your heaviest level of shield proficiency (Shields or Tower Shields) for a particular class to gain an extra 1 skill rank at each level you take in that class. Similarly, you can decrease your skill ranks per level by one to gain the next heavier level of shield proficiency.
This choice must be made at the first level at which you would have access to a given level of shields. If multiclassing would result in you gaining the forfeited level of shield proficiency, then you must select one of two options:
- Gain the new level(s) of shield proficiency and lose the extra skill point(s) for that level and any that follow.
- Continue to gain the extra skill point(s) by waiving access to any new levels of shield proficiency.
- You cannot choose to forfeit levels of shield proficiency that you already have.
- Example: If you already have Shield Proficiency from taking levels in Cleric, you could not forfeit Shield Proficiency when multiclassing into Fighter. You could however forfeit access to Tower Shield Proficiency to gain an extra skill point.
- If you forfeit a given level of shield proficiency and then spend a feat to gain access to that same level of shield proficiency, you may continue to gain extra skill points.