This houserule adopts a round-based model for the adventuring day. The exploratory round treats each hour as an overland round. The cross-country round treats each day as an overland round.
- 1 Exploratory
- 2 Cross-Country
Each round constitutes one hour of time. The distance a character or party can move is dependent upon the speed of the slowest creature. The speeds listed for a move action in the table below are equal to 1/2 the rates listed in the Core Rulebook (a hex size of 1/2 mile is assumed). A creature or party may move their full overland rate simply by taking a double-move.
The following chart covers a large number of scenarios but it not exhaustive. Please see the section below it for additional considerations.
Overland Exploratory Actions
Full-Round Actions (1 hour)
- The swift actions listed in the Cross-Country rules below are each approximately 1-hour in length and could be taken as a full-round Exploratory action.
Standard Actions (1/2 hour)
Move Actions (1/2 hour)
Swift Actions (<quarter hour)
- The free actions listed in the Cross-Country rules below are generally short enough to be taken as a swift Exploratory action.
- Scaling or descending a cliff requires its own move action for that hex.
- Unless a river is noted as being particularly violet, crossing one uses up an extra hex of movement during the course of a move action.
- 1 Standard Activity
- 1 Move Activity
- 1 Swift Activity
- Any number of Free Activities
- A Standard Activity may be substituted for a Move, or a Swift Activity.
- A Move Activity may be substituted for a Swift Activity.
- Both the Standard and Move Activities may be substituted for a Full-Day Activity.
- If a group does not move during their overland round, they may take a 1-mile step.
The Overland Round assumes that the group performs a multitude of trivial tasks and rests for a total period of at least 12 hours. This includes preparation time for meals, setting up camp, building a fire, taking turns for watch, etc. Groups that are free of such chores, such as those staying at an inn for example, can “haste” their day and may perform 1 extra Move Activity.
Overland Cross-Country Actions
Full Day Actions (12+ hours)
- Attempt a Move or Standard Activity with a +2 circumstance bonus
- Attempt a Profession skill check
- Cast a spell requiring more than 8 hours of uninterrupted activity
- Forced march (attempting to travel more than a double overland move, with appropriate fortitude saves)
- Full day’s rest
- Record a spell in spellbook
- Take 20 on a Perception check to search up to 360 squares (approximately a 100×100 ft. area).
Standard Actions (8 hours)
- Attempt a Craft skill check
- Camouflage or fortify camp or shelter
- Survival checks to forage for food
- Hunt for herbs
- Rest for 8 hours
- Set snares and traps
- Study a new spell
- Brew a potion or scribe a scroll (1 day per 1,000gp value).
- Take 20 on a Perception check to search up to 240 squares (approximately a 75×75 ft. area).
- Any other task requiring steady work and high concentration
Move Actions (4 hours)
- Check for snares & traps
- Dig a grave or trench (up to 5 ft. deep, 10 ft. long)
- Erase traces of camp / activity
- Diplomacy checks to gather information (urban activity)
- Perform in front of an audience (urban activity)
- Full resupply shopping trip (urban activity)
- Brew/scribe up to two potions/scrolls worth 250gp or less.
- Survival check to gain a bonus on Fortitude saves against severe weather (+2 if moving, +4 if stationary)
- Take 20 on a Perception check to search up to 120 squares (approximately a 50×50 ft. area).
- Travel up to half the daily overland distance indicated in the Pathfinder RPG. (Use the full distance if the group performs a double move.)
- Any other task requiring steady work but low concentration
- Collect wood for a bonfire
- Cast a spell with a casting time of 1 hour
- Find protected shelter / camp site
- Any other task requiring about 1 hour to complete
- Cast a spell with a casting time of 10 minutes or less.
- Groom animals
- Prepare meals
- Prepare daily spells
- Set camp / Set out for travel
- Travel 1 mile (equivalent to the 5-foot step)
- Any other mundane task requiring less than 1 hour or that can easily be performed while doing something else